Job Title: Farmer
Location: Five Loaves Farm, Lynden, WA (A Rocha USA)
Closing Date: April 16, 2010
Five Loaves Farm is a developing network of community gardens currently located on three church properties. These gardens produce a harvest for neighborhood renters, garden workers, local food banks, and community members. The Farmer will most effectively plant, grow, harvest, and distribute the immense bounty of these gardens, individually and by organizing volunteers and other garden workers. In addition, the Farmer will assist in the expansion and development of new garden initiatives and ideas.
· Plant, water, weed, harvest, and distribute garden produce.
· Organize volunteers and renters to most effectively use the land in a productive and sustainable manner.
· Connect with local food banks and community organizations to schedule distribution efforts.
· Small construction/maintenance projects around the gardens to maintain aesthetics and functional requirements.
· Assist in the development of conservation science projects that relate to the gardens: local pollinator study and native plant propagation.
· Set up, advertise, and manage a weekly onsite marketstand.
· Lay the groundwork for the development of a larger city Farmer’s Market in future years.
· Lay the groundwork for potential CSA project using these gardens.
· Assist in the organization of additional gardens on other properties in town.
· Community education efforts
· Interest and passion for the cultivation of God’s kingdom in the place where you live.
· Gardening experience and knowledge using “organic” methods of production – preferably in the maritime NW.
· Ability to complete tedious tasks individually (with minimal direct supervision) in an outdoor environment – ie. extremely self-motivated.
· Good communication skills – to organize volunteers, to connect with local organizations and to keep the community informed of the garden efforts.
· Reliable transportation (could be a bike with trailer) for the distribution of produce around the community
This position is a temporary contract position (3+ months beginning in May/June) through A Rocha USA and Five Loaves Farm. Compensation will be an hourly rate ($9 - $14/hr) based on experience and availability. The Farmer will also have access to all the fresh produce they can eat.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and/or resume to Dave Timmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Five Loaves Farm. You may also email or call with questions (360) 354-4019.